As listed in the National Professional Standards for Teachers, educators must “create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments.”
This standard is broken down into a few subcategories:
4.1 Support student participation
4.2 Manage classroom activities
4.3 Manage challenging behaviour
4.4 Maintain student safety
4.5 Use ICT safely, responsibly and ethically
I believe that I have met the criteria by doing the following:
- I am a person of action. I enjoy working with student one on one and supporting their learning.I take my responsibilities of a teacher very seriously. It is important to me that students understand their responsibilities as individuals but also as members of my class.
- I work with the students in the first weeks of our course to understand these responsibilities. If they have trouble coming to the understanding , I usually work one on one with them so that we have not had any miscommunication.
- If a student is unsafe or is challenging in their behaviour I will work with them in a restorative manner to establish the positive behaviours needed for success.
- I am very hands-on in my teaching. When ever a student has a query or is unsure, I make sure they have my full attention and ask them to explain the situation/problem. I “seek to understand” before I act.
- My classroom environment is filled with social interaction and enjoyment but at the core is the responsibility of the teacher and students to allow everyone to learn in a supportive and safe environment.
- I have developed a scope and sequence in ICT that looks at the use of these tools in a ethical manner. This course can be imbedded in current subjects or be stand alone. Good global citizens is a key characteristic , in my opinion to a 21st century learner.
Click here for all blogposts on the “supportive and learning” standard.